Ariya Arriving early - please help!

New to the Nissan Ariya Forums? Introduce yourself here
TerryOS

Post by TerryOS »

Hi All,

Brand new to the forum and EV ownership.

I ordered the160kW Advance 63kWh back in November through my employer and was told delivery would be in April/May but yesterday I was told delivery would be made in 2 weeks! So now I’m rushing to sort out a home charger etc / learn the basics!

Silly question - but what cables come with the Ariya? I’ve done a bit of research and the internet suggests it will come with a “type 2” cable and a “mode 2” or “granny cable”. Is that right?

Also am I right in thinking that if I can’t arrange an home charger install within the next 2 weeks I’ll be okay to just charge it (albeit slowly) with the granny cable?

Any recommendations on home EV charger? So far “I think” it makes sense to get a “tethered 7.4kW charger”. I’m guessing I will charge at home 99% of the time, so tethered seems to make sense, plus I can hide it in my garage. I assume for public chargers I can just use the type 2 cable supplied with the car and leave it in the car all the time?

Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance! (I was hoping to have longer to learn all about this!)

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

The ariya does come with the cables you mentioned, i have an Ohme pro charger fitted and there are some benefits from this when using octopus tarriffs, such as interaction from octopus and Ohme when overnight charging.
The setting up for charging is usually done using the Ohme app and there are many youtube videos covering how to, i must state that i am not promoting either of these company's but this does seem to be the best for cost / ease of use combination currently on the market.
So it only leaves me to wish you a good experience with your aryia.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Away from home, most charging tends to be fast charging, 50kW and higher, and such chargers are fitted with cable and lead. You will only need your type 2 cable for 7.4kW charging as such public chargers are without lead. Charge rate with type 2 can be higher if your car is to be 22kW charge compatible.
TerryOS

Post by TerryOS »

Thanks guys, just weighing up the pro’s and con’s of the EV tariffs offered by suppliers. Podpoint seem to be doing a deal with EDF (my current supplier).

Any experience of podpoint?
mickatkirkby

Post by mickatkirkby »

I got a tethered podpoint from EDF (my current supplier) but their o/night tariff means a jump in the daytime tariff making it less of a bargain. Octopus is a better deal but they do not recognise the podpoint. Tethered at home is much less hassle. If you reverse park tho' check the distance/length involved, mine just reaches.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

And, however long you think you need the cable, add a metre. Costs a nominal sum added to a big bill but will give you more options in terms of where you park and future proof for a car with different charge point position.
TerryOS

Post by TerryOS »

Yeah I was reading into “was it worth going to an EV tariff” and I don’t think it will be for us.

Think I’ve settled on the Hypervolt Home 3 Pro

Thanks for all your advice!
digitaldr

Post by digitaldr »

I opted for an EO tethered charger which I mounted quite low on the front of my house. It's very descrete as I believe a car charger should be as unobtrusive as possible like any other outside utility hook up eg external socket or tap. There's no need for a screen as the app works flawlessly. I opted for tethered as I didn't want to run the small risk of forgetting the cable although most public chargers are tethered.
ashleycarr

Post by ashleycarr »

TerryOS wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:22 pm Yeah I was reading into “was it worth going to an EV tariff” and I don’t think it will be for us.

Think I’ve settled on the Hypervolt Home 3 Pro

Thanks for all your advice!
I've had one of those for over a year. Has worked flawlessly in that time. The app has had it's moments but a recent upgrade has certainly made a big difference and is working well. OVO expect it to be compatible with their EV tariff in Spring but no actual date. In the meantime I use Octopus GO, which gives 4 hours at 9p. Not great but should give you 28kWh per night so a good 100 miles. If you are not with Octopus you can use my referral code and we both benefit with £50 credit.

https://share.octopus.energy/jade-llama-414