Winter Tyres?

New to the Nissan Ariya Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ariyana

Post by Ariyana »

Hi, It's my first winter with the Ariya EV. I have not had positive experience so far with wet conditions and the handling of the car. I asked about winter tyres to help with gaining better traction on the road and the dealership said it was best to use e-pedal. However, my opinion of e-pedal is that it brakes suddenly as soon as the accelerator pedal is lifted which would then make it prone to skidding. I was also told that there are no winter tyres available for the Ariya.
Anyone help?

Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Ariyana wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:28 pm Hi, It's my first winter with the Ariya EV. I have not had positive experience so far with wet conditions and the handling of the car. I asked about winter tyres to help with gaining better traction on the road and the dealership said it was best to use e-pedal. However, my opinion of e-pedal is that it brakes suddenly as soon as the accelerator pedal is lifted which would then make it prone to skidding. I was also told that there are no winter tyres available for the Ariya.
Anyone help?
From my perspective I would suggest using B mode instead of e-Pedal which is a bit aggressive and uses mechanical brakes too, B mode is purely regen braking.

There should be winter tires for the Ariya definitely, in nordic countries I've seen Ariya's fitted with them.
Ariyana

Post by Ariyana »

I don't have B mode? I have sport, eco and standard.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

After pulling back to select "Drive" or D, pull it back again and D on the dash turns to B. I only drive in B.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

And pulling back again, returns the drive to D.
Envolt

Post by Envolt »

Did you read about the tire situation in other threads?
Do you have Dunlop’s ?
Because telling you to use the e-pedal as a mitigation against poor grip tyres is quite concerning.
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Envolt wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:07 am Did you read about the tire situation in other threads?
Do you have Dunlop’s ?
Because telling you to use the e-pedal as a mitigation against poor grip tyres is quite concerning.
I have Dunlops, no complaints here, poor grip only when accelerating very hard on tricky conditions.
Tega

Post by Tega »

I had winter tyres fitted to my 63kw Ariya just under two weeks ago. Had the car since since September 2022, I had no unusual grip issues last winter with the factory fitted Dunlop 19” tyres but as I’m regularly travelling in the often snowy west Durham hills this year I thought winter tyres a good idea for this winter. I just searched for size and load/speed rating to the factory fitted Dunlop 19” tyres on the car and opted for the low end premium Yokohamas as they were on a really good deal. There were options from a lot of the usual budget, mid range & premium manufacturers.
With reference to the tyre wear threads elsewhere on the forum I needed to change tyres anyway. The fronts had 2mm tread left and the rears had 5mm tread left after 20200 miles. The rears will go back on in March and hopefully see another good few thousand mile. I hope the winter tyres will last me at least 3 years on 3 month winter usage per year.
Tega

Post by Tega »

I’ve just realised after reading Milkfloat’s post that I should’ve searched for new winter tyres with the foam noise suppression system. I just never thought of this and hence my stupid last post not understanding that you’re all trying to source tyres matching the lesser spotted factory fitted spec and that you do indeed know how to buy a tyre.
As there are no original factory spec winter tyres available I would still have bought the same standard spec tyres but at least I’m now aware of this when looking for summer tyres in March.
It’s unfair to compare winter & summer tyre noise levels as I understand winter tyres are generally noisier anyway. However since realising I have replaced reduced noise tyres with standard spec tyres, I have noticed a definitely increased rolling humming noise even if it wasn’t enough of a difference in cabin noise over these first two weeks of winter tyre use to grab my attention. We all have our own tolerances to various noises, the radio and Black Sabbath tends to drown out most other noises anyway. Not very scientific I know.