Ariya failed to start - headlight system fault

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
RamblyRunner

Post by RamblyRunner »

TL;DR version
My 63kWh Ariya Advance has developed several faults in recent weeks and I'm now worried about driving it anywhere in case it decides not to start when I get back in it.

Longer version
So after 9 months without experiencing any faults, they're now coming thick and fast!

Firstly, the lane assist stopped working. Initially it was working more than it wasn't but over the last few weeks that's flipped and now it fails more often than it works. Originally I was going to get it looked at during the car's first service in December but when the recall came in I decided to get this issue looked at when it's in for that.

November has seen 2 new issues. Firstly, the reversing camera has glitched a couple of times, once for me and once for my wife. Another phone call to Nissan to add it to the snag list for my visit next week.

Then this morning my wife put the dog in the car but then the hatch wouldn't close when I pressed either button. So I pushed it closed manually, got in the car, turned it on and saw "Headlight system fault See Owner's Manual" and the car wouldn't go into either drive or reverse. I tried turning the car off and on a few times and it fluctuated between the Headlight warning and a general system fault. There's nothing in the manual that I could find for either error. So the dog walk was off... and as the hatch wouldn't open, the dog was stuck in the car!

My car is parked down the side of the house and it's quite a tight fit so my wife managed to crawl in through the rear passenger door, drop the seats and shuffle the crate around to extract the dog and then pass her out to me. Luckily I don't own a Great Dane!

Later the car had magically fixed itself. However I'm not satisfied with that, of course, so I'll be on the phone again tomorrow to the dealer to add yet another item to my snag list. I'm glad I've arranged to take the car in early!

I've read the odd post about these errors but apart from a replacement steering wheel for the lane assist problem I don't know what the solution is for the headlight/system fault. If anyone has any experience to share, please do.

ariya_error.jpg

Nissan Ariya Advance 2022 63kWh Aurora Green

ashleycarr

Post by ashleycarr »

A concerning trend but this at least suggests software rather than hardware, or are you suspecting the 12v battery?
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

Steering issue is a new steering wheel. Headlight one is new, mine dulled down to hardly any light once but hasn't done it since last winter. Definitely software glitches though. I am waiting for my screen to freeze more as winter approaches.
angus5737

Post by angus5737 »

I had the headlight fault last Sunday locked the car and unlocked cleared the fault.been ok since .at least the car is still charging ok grateful for small mercies.the most annoying fault is the heating settings they never stay the same as the day before.good job it's a good drive. think I'll buy the Volvo ex30 next if the ariya is still worth any money .looked over the Volvo at an open day very promising
nibbyoop

Post by nibbyoop »

I had this a while ago. Posted about it here briefly viewtopic.php?p=1300#p1300

I called RAC, turned the car off and when they told me it would be an hour + before they arrived I tried it again and it was fine. Haven't had it happen since.
Envolt

Post by Envolt »

I have this ALL the TIME - just wait around 60 minutes and it self clears..
On a different note..
Winter has made my alarm go off so much more often - so much fun stuff with this car. Thanks Nissan you are the best!
angus5737

Post by angus5737 »

Yep everyday a new fun experience
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

karltk1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:02 pm Steering issue is a new steering wheel. Headlight one is new, mine dulled down to hardly any light once but hasn't done it since last winter. Definitely software glitches though. I am waiting for my screen to freeze more as winter approaches.
What is the steering issue in specific? Problem detecting your hands with the capacitive sensors on the wheel?
Envolt

Post by Envolt »

This steering wheel thing.. Nissan seems to think that replacing the steering wheel fixes things. It only make things worse for me.
When they replaced mine with a new one it broke the hands detection on half of the wheel but they just don't care to replace it again and of course doing so fixed nothing.

FYI.. it turns out you don't have any legal claim against Nissan themselves if your car has any failings. You have to lay claim against the dealer even though its not their fault Nissan has crap software and engagement with getting things resolved. They just hide behind a call centre who never gets back to you when there are real faults.
Which is why Nissan does not give a toot about getting anything fixed except for safety things where they can be held responsible. Its a freaking joke beyond belief.
NRDariya

Post by NRDariya »

Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Parked it on supermarket carpark and when I returned it wouldn't start and had the same headlight error message. I locked the car, walked back to the store so the key was out of range and let it reboot itself. It started once I returned. Very worrying at the time but it hasn't happened since.

20231014_083637.jpg