Puncture

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
Graham

Post by Graham »

JTC652 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:08 pm Nothing special about the tyres, they can be repaired just like any other tyre. When I worked for a car company the tyres were inflated with helium when loaned to the press, it makes them quieter! The molecules are so small they leak out so the tyres had to be topped up every day between press exchanges!

Nitrogen inflation gives more tyre pressure stability.

The puncture kits supplied in cars is only any good for seeping punctures, anything else they won't work, any puncture that ends up with the tyre flat should be recovered to a tyre repair shop. The glue in the kit will make the tyre unrepairable and it may kill off the TPMS sender mounted on the valve stem. Also tyre centres hate that stuff as it makes a hell of a mess when they remove the tyre from the wheel.
So how are you supposed to get to a tyre repair shop? 🙁

Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Graham wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:03 pm This week’s Auto Express has a letter from a Mr Phil Davies:
“When I had a puncture in a new Ariya, I used the repair kit, which was useless. The tyre contains noise-reducing material and the dealer told me that’s why it was ineffective. Why supply a kit knowing it won’t work, therefore stranding the owners if they have a puncture?

Any one agree, or disagree?
Disagree, if I have a run flat tire with noise foam I'll use assistance if I'm not in a hurry, if I'm in a hurry I will continue my journey with the run flats, they are for those situations.
And if in the future I mount a non run flat non noise foam tyre and I have a simple puncture then I can use the tyre puncture kit and it could be useful on a hurry.
So for me it's nice to have it if the proper situation occurs.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

What have run-flats got to do with an Ariya?
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

20230112_104435.jpg

I carry a 145 x 70 x r20 spare. Take out the bottom false floor and it fits in perfectly.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Interesting Milkfloat re spare.
I have a space saver spare wheel and tyre from when I had a Volvo XC40.
Continental T125/80 R17 any ideas if this would be any use on the Ariya?
Apart from the different size I guess the centres of the studs to fix the wheel would be the main thing?
If you don’t possess a jack to present it to the stub axle I guess it is tricky measuring?
Contributions welcome😀👍
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Graham, the Ariya sits on 19 or 20 inch rims. Diameter of the 235 x 55 x 19 tyre is 742mm. Your 125 x 80 x 17 tyre is 632 mm diameter. Too small. The more common 145 x 60 x 20 is 683mm diameter so just about OK. As to rim, it is 5 stud with 114.3mm PCD and centre bore of 66.1mm. Needless to say, whatever tyre you use, you have to buy a rim that fits Nissan. Lots of these about as the Qashqai uses the same rims.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks Milkfloat, I had an inkling it would be too small🙁.
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Milkfloat wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 am What have run-flats got to do with an Ariya?
The same as any other car that has run-flat tires fitted.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Cosmyc wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:00 am
Milkfloat wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:43 am What have run-flats got to do with an Ariya?
The same as any other car that has run-flat tires fitted.
Are run-flats an Ariya option?
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

My Ariya did come with run-flats from factory. They're the Goodyear SP Sport Maxx 050, with run-flat, sponge noise inner insulation and rim protection sidewalls.