Completely dead ariya

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Ariya
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

Just unlocked the car this morning after no problems last night. Battery fully charged and now the car is completely dead. No power to anything except 4 ways. Can't lock the car but at least no one can steal it.

Left it alone for 10 mins, and locked the car and unlocked the car, now dead again. RAC tried a reset but that didn't work over the phone.

Will let you know what next as it evolves. Glad it didn't happen whilst on holiday.

NISSANFAN

Post by NISSANFAN »

HOLY MOLY …….seen one on the USA forum the same !!!!! Hope it’s a quick resolution. Keep us posted
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

Car is at nissan with RAC in toe. They couldn't tow it due to the weight of the car. 12v battery is at fault and barely holds a charge. What caused it is the mystery.

Was in for a software update next week anyway. Also had a steering fault when using Crouse control. Obviously a few things not happy.
Cheers
8thDay

Post by 8thDay »

I had a similar issue with my previous EV, a Hyundai Ioniq. The main battery was at around 75% but for some reason the 12v battery just went flat overnight. Initially the RAC just charged it but it happened again a few days later so the battery was replaced and they said they would check this original factory fitted battery and I asked for them to let me know the outcome. It turned out the battery was defective and the new UK sourced replacement did not give any further issues. I hope it is similar for the original poster.

I assume there is no alternator kicking out 50Amps+ like on a ICE car and so maybe we have some sort of trickle charger like you have at home.
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

The main battery along with the BMS should trickle charge the battery all the time it requires it. Been doing that fine since day 1. The green flashing light on the dashboard is grey or off constantly, so something isn't talking very well.

The battery measured 12.89 volts and the car was turned on, I would expect nearer 14 v when charging. The car gave a warning message saying battery low, not which one though.lol. however the main battery us 100%

This a few others are adding up.

PXL_20230529_111958218.jpg

Envolt

Post by Envolt »

Interesting... I have now heard of a few of the cars loosing the plot with the 12v battery (outside of this forum) including mine and to boot when the dealer had it in their hands as well on the one occasion.
Since adding the Bluetooth battery monitor, it has not happened again. So I haven't been able to log the action of the fault as such.
I am still thinking I need one of those lithium backup 12v car starter battery packs just in case it happens again.
Also if anyone get a computer malfunction of their Ariya. Try turn everything off, close all doors and wait a good 60 minutes (no jokes 60 mins is a magic number for us) and try it all again.
We get stranded often enough to know thats how most temporary issues are fixed.
ashleycarr

Post by ashleycarr »

I've heard the same and it's made me so paranoid I have got one of those jump start packs and looked at how to get at the 12v in just such a scenario. I'm off tomorrow and imagining all sorts of disasters since I started reading electric car Forums, or is it Fora.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

There is a positive terminal designed for the job under the bonnet behind a red plastic cover.
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

That's how the RAC man hooked up his jump pack. Then the alarm kept going of with car unlocked. Lol. Not to noisy luckily, until you open the boot, then it hurts the ears. Speaker is inside the car! That must be why the reverse noise is so quiet perhaps.

The RAC man then boosted the 12v bay direct to the battery from his van. This eventually got it going do I could limp it to the nissan dealer with the RAC behind me. Then I noticed the heads up display was off to. Maybe on power Dave mode I presume.

I also noticed the green indicator light was off, so car wasn't charging the 12v at all.

Still in the garage, now I have knackered my knee as I have a manual courtesy car. Lol.
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

I don't think the old 12v battery's can cope with the power demands from modern cars as well as lithium can. Hence Tesla have changed there's and to save quite a few kgs in weight.

I to might buy a jumper pack to boost the battery. Not sure about the battery monitor system though. If the car won't charge the battery, the monitor is only going to tell me the same. I suppose it could be an early warning sign.