Continental driving tip

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
Envolt

Post by Envolt »

I think the problem here is that it depends on the charger you are hooked up to. Some abort the process when the car disconnects for a short time. Its certainly an issue I have had many times.

ashleycarr

Post by ashleycarr »

Glad to hear it is a known thing. The car was plugged into the Hotel's normal wall socket, I had the foresight to get a Schuko plug just in case. Got my money back. :lol:
ashleycarr

Post by ashleycarr »

Ariya Road Trip

I'm now back and after a door to door trip of 2,100 miles, 1,236 in Spain & Portugal. I have got to know the Ariya 87kWh quite well.

The car was just about flawless, nothing major to report outside some of the usual and minor quirks most of you are familiar with. But first the good bits.

At summer temperatures and averaging 60 mph on motorways the car consistently returned 300 + mile range. An average of 3.7 m/kWh x 87kW battery = 322 miles. At lower speeds it would return up to 4. I used Epedal and eco mode most of the time and ICC, setting my max speed at 100 kph or 63 mph.

Charging speed and curve was again pretty much inline with my experience in the UK. One example was using a Tesla supercharger in Spain, 61 kWh in 47 minutes taking the car from 24% to 95%. At €32.33 (53c pkWh) a really reasonable cost. I assume there is a clever clogs that can calculate the overall average charge speed but at low SOC peaked in the early 120's?

The almost infinite seat adjustment meant I was able to find a level of comfort on long drives I have not got close to in previous cars. As long as the speed into curves and the lines were clearly visible I was able to set the ICC and it would do 95+% of the steering, braking and acceleration for me without intervention. Just the annoying regularity of the warning to put your hands on the wheel, even though one of them was always there, to spoil it. Gripping the wheel reasonably tightly at 2 o'clock seemed to be the sweet spot for avoiding it but that gets a little tedious after a while.

I charged 15 times in total. My strategy was to attempt to have circa 80% in the battery when checking in to a Hotel, whether it claimed to have charging in or near the Hotel car parking or not. If they did, and I could add a bit more to the battery then fine, if not I would always have options on checking out. 7 of the 8 Hotels claimed some sort of access to charging but I only managed at 3, all of which made no charge, although one charged for parking, that was the case whether charging or not.

Before I left I downloaded Chargemap, and Miio to give me what I thought would be decent access to charging points throughout Spain and Portugal.......but it didn't! Although Chargemap was a pretty good routing tool, a bit like ABRP it allowed the SOC and desired end SOC, the app either took me to charging points that I didn't have a payment method for or one occasion where the Chargemap compatible CP wanted the proprietary RFID card and so was useless. In fairness I may have been able to filter better but nevertheless a check in the app before routing you to something that is not going to work would be a very useful upgrade. Miio I tried to associate a credit card to before I went but the hoops you have to go through were somewhat opaque and incredibly onerous. I decided to not bother, expecting I could just use a CC. BIG MISTAKE!

I discovered that in Portugal, and my admittedly limited charging experiences in Spain I was unable to ever initiate a charging session with just a CC waved at the CP. In Spain, apart from using the Tesla app, I had to have the Iberdrola app or I would have been unable to charge at all.

I found myself in Portugal unable to charge anywhere because of not arranging a method of payment with Miio and the complete lack of CC initiated charging. NB some apps won't accept international CC's just local. It took me a lot of nerve wracking reliance on communication with support, which of course does not provide a telephone number and seem to respond in the middle of the night. I had to provide all sorts of Bank details, e.g. Swift code the Banks BACS code and at one time I was asked for my VAT number, for Portugal!!! A bloody nightmare that was only eventually resolved by taking screen shots of my Banks website and basically saying, “this is all I can do”. To my relief it was accepted, I looked at my phone at 4am, funnily enough wasn't sleeping particularly well, and a post payment method of paying for a charging session was approved. After that there was the usual odd broken CP but more than enough to get me through with relative ease. One other quirk with the Miio app was when I was faced with a plethora of Iberdrola CP's. Miio's numbering for the CP did not line up with Iberdrola's. I had to use their app to know which one I was trying to use.

The infrastructure over there is similar, maybe slightly behind, here, but I felt the number was probably a little ahead of EV ownership as I rarely saw anyone else charging.

Moral of this tale is, have a long range car and every app under the continental sun.
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Didn't you use Zunder, Endesa, Repsol or Ionity charging infrastructure in Spain?
shipperizer

Post by shipperizer »

@ashleycarr I'm bound to the continent as well and I can't figure out if I need beam adapters/deflectors or not... How did you sort this? Nissan hasn't come back to me with an answers yet