Update on Ariya economy in Standard mode

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
jeffgolding

Post by jeffgolding »

Hello all,
As I said last week I have done an economy comparison from Horning in Norfolk back to Canvey Island Essex.
I drove exactly the same style ie, observing speed limits in urban areas and cruising between
55-65 mph on the open road, little bit of holdup Norwich and on A12 near Chelmsford but I don’t think that those affected the results at all, this drive was done entirely in STANDARD MODE.
My leaving horning battery percentage was 78% upon arrival at home it was 45% so a total of 33% of the available battery capacity was used, I traveled 112 miles in total.
DRIVING IN STANDARD MODE AS OPPOSED TO ECONOMY MODE WAS EXACTLY THE SAME CONSUMPTION .

IMG_20230527_124801.jpeg

8thDay

Post by 8thDay »

Disclaimer: I have not had my Ariya for long and have not done any long journeys yet so please allow for the fact my comments cannot carry much authority.

As to the post above, the results do not surprise me much as ECO mode on it's own does not seem to do very much as far as I can make out. What I would be very interesting to learn is a comparison on a decent length journey between STANDARD mode with E-Pedal on and ECO mode with E-Pedal off when you try to freewheel using as little braking as possible.

I have only done a handful of miles on a local A road in these modes but I get the feeling I am getting a significant improvement in economy when freewheeling. If nothing else it is the most extraordinary experience and something I have never experienced in a car before. The nearest thing is freewheeling on a pushbike. I am not really mechanically minded but I guess the reason it feels so different is that we have no transmission attached to the drive wheels like an ICE car has even when in neutral (I might be wrong though !) I am looking forward to getting on a motorway and trying this out with ICC on .....

It is very early days but I would not be surprised that this ability will stand out as the single biggest advantage over my last EV, the excellent Hyundai Ioniq. At the moment it is more or less even with the two cars. The Ariya is better at some things eg charging speed and electric boot ! but the Ioniq had much better thought out driver software. I know we will not be able to improve the so-so quality of the displays and the sluggish processor but I hope there will be a lot of improvements to the software itself. I knew before getting the car, that being brand new meant there would be a lot of areas for improvement and I hope it will be like the Ioniq where a series of new releases improved many things.
Envolt

Post by Envolt »

@jeffgolding
As I mentioned in my other post - Eco, Standard and Sport - If driven in the same style seem to give the same range. Seems to just dull response down or perk it up.
At the end of the day I just use Sports mode. If I go down a hill/mountain it would be B mode and D for everything.
Where can I get that star effect you have in the background : )
jeffgolding

Post by jeffgolding »

I don’t know, it may be shone on me from above because I am blessed 🤩