New to Ariya Advance

New to the Nissan Ariya Forums? Introduce yourself here
AJSki2fly

Post by AJSki2fly »

Hello

We are collecting our new Ariya Advance 87kWh, with Sky Pack, in blue, this Thursday. I currently have a Tesla M3 Long Range, owned for 2 years, so we are familiar to EV motoring. The Ariya is for my wife, replacing her ageing Honda, itmay become our one and only vehicle in 3 years time when she stops working, or we may consolidate both it and the Tesla into a new more technically advanced EV then.

I am very much hoping the Ariya is a relatively simple to use EV, once you get familiar with it, my wife does not do well with hi-tech stuff which can be confusing at the best of times, even for an ex IT Consultant like me. As long as she can plug it in and charge it up at home simply, plan her trips easily by some means (car-nav or zap-map) and find chargers on route, she will be happy, most of her journeys will be locally, 30 mile range, with a few 100-200 mile ones which are pretty well known to her, so it will just be a matter of identifying Supercharger sites en-route.

She likes the look of the Ariya in and out and how it drives, especially the raised height, SUV feel. I drove a demonstrator on an extended test drive with the sales chap with me. I found it to be very good, a good ride slightly less harsh than the Tesla, performance was more than adequate, not up to a Dual Motor Tesla but that is somewhat extreme.We got lost on the test drive and we went on a great variety of road types and surfaces so got a good feel for it in the hour or so we were out. The only think I could criticise was the steering a little lacking in the amount of feedback/feel, but it was very easy to drive overall, I don't think to will matter to my wife.

Any advice or tips would be well received.

Thanks

Adrian

Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Best of luck with the car. It is easy to drive and live with; you can put the steering effort into sport mode without using the overall sport setting which I dislike. I find this better than the default steering effort setting. Apart from the continuing software niggles, my only complaints are with the strange suspension "bucking" with low speed stops and the absence of being able to set a SOC target when charging. I do a quick calculation and set the off time on the charger. The sat-nav shows configuarable charge points but it does not have the functionality to define charge points a la Tesla unfortunately. I find it easier to plan ahead using Zap-Map. Given a known and steady driving style, the SOC declines absolutely as expected and there are no sudden drops in expected range to catch you out.
AJSki2fly

Post by AJSki2fly »

Milkfloat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:26 pm Best of luck with the car. It is easy to drive and live with; you can put the steering effort into sport mode without using the overall sport setting which I dislike. I find this better than the default steering effort setting. Apart from the continuing software niggles, my only complaints are with the strange suspension "bucking" with low speed stops and the absence of being able to set a SOC target when charging. I do a quick calculation and set the off time on the charger. The sat-nav shows configuarable charge points but it does not have the functionality to define charge points a la Tesla unfortunately. I find it easier to plan ahead using Zap-Map. Given a known and steady driving style, the SOC declines absolutely as expected and there are no sudden drops in expected range to catch you out.
Thanks for the info. Much as I had expected from my research into the Ariya, I have put Zap-Map, Electroverse, and a few others on my wife's phone, so just need to show her how to simply use Zap-Map and plan her routes/charging, but that will only be now and then. Lucky for us there are a few Tesla site we can charge the Ariya at on a couple of routes we do.

Do you calculate like this, if at home charging and going from 50% to 80% then 30% increase, which is 26.1Kwh, so if charging overnight it will be at 7Kwh so that will take 26.1/7 = 3.73 hours, so just set car to charge in off peak for that time?

We have lots of Solar PV so charging in the summer will be a bit different, as it varies depending on Solar and load from house. We will just have to keep an eye on the app to see how much charge it has got to.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

I started calculating just as you suggest but then with real data, I switched to time/%SOC. It depends on your mains voltage, charger type etc. but will be in the order of 7.1minutes/%SOC. I find it easier as your 30% simply becomes 213 minutes.
AJSki2fly

Post by AJSki2fly »

Milkfloat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 pm I started calculating just as you suggest but then with real data, I switched to time/%SOC. It depends on your mains voltage, charger type etc. but will be in the order of 7.1minutes/%SOC. I find it easier as your 30% simply becomes 213 minutes.
That makes sense, thanks