Is the Ariya a safe car?

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

My Ariya has lots of technology built into it, but sometimes things are not as they seem. Here are two examples of the car almost getting me into trouble.

1/ It was night, I was out on an unlit country road approaching a crossroads with my lights on automatic, a car was waiting to come out on my right. An oncoming car had dipped my headlights, My car decided to switch the main beam on - but immediately dipped them when it saw the waiting car. The waiting car took this as a flash from me to let it come out - which it did - right in front of me! Luckily I had room to swerve around the back of him. He was not happy!

2/This one was partly my fault. Daylight - straight urban road - 30mph limit. There was a cyclist in front of me and a car approaching in the distance. I judged that I could use the Ariya's quick acceleration to overtake the cyclist long before the approaching car arrived. I accelerated and moved over to the right hand lane. At that moment the Ariya saw the cyclist and slapped it's brakes on! - leaving me in the path of the oncoming car. Fortunately the Ariya took pity on me and took the brakes off and I was just able to pull in front of the cyclist.

So now I tend to be careful with my use of the automatic lights and I view all cyclists and pedestrians with terror.