Auto Hold and Brake lights

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
airay

Post by airay »

Hi everybody,
Been driving our new Aurora green/blue/purple/black Advance for a week or so now (the colour is great!)
Still trying to comes to terms with everything. I've learnt a few things so far. I know that the big round thing makes it go round corners and the map looks like my great grandson's first attempt to make spag bol.

What I can't find anywhere in the manual is brake lights and Autohold. And I've read the manual from cover to cover three times (honest!)

Our last two cars (Skoda superbs) also had autohold and we used it all the time, but they never kept the brake lights illuminated when it was holding the car stationary - ensuring that the drivers behind were not dazzled.
The Ariya appears to do that. Can anybody confirm either that I'm stupid and I've changed a setting when I should have left well alone, or in fact the Ariya does keep the brake lights on during autohold?

Thanks for any help.
1967 - first car - Austin A35 (second hand)
Latest car - Advance (63)

Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Using the steering wheel menu, go to personal display > brake lamp and the little graphic will show you when the brake lamp comes on.
nibbyoop

Post by nibbyoop »

Milkfloat wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:47 pm Using the steering wheel menu, go to personal display > brake lamp and the little graphic will show you when the brake lamp comes on.
I use the speed limiter often on my way to work so this screen comes up most of the time when I'm driving and I'm pretty sure it doesn't show the break lights as on when auto hold is engaged.
airay

Post by airay »

Thanks Milkfloat - I'll have a look at that setting and also try the speed limiter to see what happens. Not today though - snowing like mad here today!
nibbyoop

Post by nibbyoop »

After actually paying attention, I can confirm my Ariya does indeed use the break lights when on auto hold. No idea if there is a setting somewhere that can change that.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Yes, the brake lights do come on with auto-hold which is logical as it is just the equivalent of sitting with your foot on the brake pedal. If you put brake lamp into personal display, you will also see that the brake lights do not illuminate with full deceleration in B drive setting and you can see how and when they light up in e-pedal mode.
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Milkfloat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 am Yes, the brake lights do come on with auto-hold which is logical as it is just the equivalent of sitting with your foot on the brake pedal. If you put brake lamp into personal display, you will also see that the brake lights do not illuminate with full deceleration in B drive setting and you can see how and when they light up in e-pedal mode.
Can confirm this is the intended behavior.
airay

Post by airay »

Thanks for everybody's comments.
I suppose I'm just harking back to the "old days" when the highway code used to be into neutral and handbrake on whilst waiting at lights so as not to ride the break pedal.
What will they think of next, flying cars?
Really love the car by the way.
Sunstone

Post by Sunstone »

Milkfloat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:39 am Yes, the brake lights do come on with auto-hold which is logical as it is just the equivalent of sitting with your foot on the brake pedal. If you put brake lamp into personal display, you will also see that the brake lights do not illuminate with full deceleration in B drive setting and you can see how and when they light up in e-pedal mode.
But isnt autohold more equivalent to the handbrake use where no brake light is required?

My own car with autohold does not enable the brake light which is what Id expect it to do. ;)
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

No, it is not the equivalent to sitting in neutral with the handbrake on as the "transmission" is still in Drive. If you put it into neutral and manually engage the parking brake then the lights do not come on. As ever, it's a choice and to me, Nissan have the most logical approach.