Is installing a home charger expensive?

The place to discuss everything else..
ElectricDan

Post by ElectricDan »

I will need to get one installed when I get my EV. I don't want to have to rely on finding a charging station or public charging port. We seem to not have enough in my area. I have heard of waiting times being over an hour in busier spots. I would prefer to just charge at home for this reason. Is installing a home charger for an EV expensive? Does anyone know?

ChriZ

Post by ChriZ »

Having done a bit of research of my own and established that the government grant has basically been withdrawn for private dwellings, you can expect to pay around £1000.00 for installation of a mid-range charger.
ashleycarr

Post by ashleycarr »

This site is worth a look.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

There is an EV chargepoint grant, but not available to everyone.

The OZEV EV chargepoint grant provides up to £350 off the cost of purchasing and installing a home charging point.
You can only claim one chargepoint per eligible vehicle and household.
The grant is available for people who live in a rented property or own a flat with dedicated off-street parking.
RamblyRunner

Post by RamblyRunner »

It depends on the charger. There are some cheaper options out there. I'm having a MyEnergi Zappi installed in a couple of weeks while I wait for my Ariya to arrive. The Zappi is a bit on the pricey side, however it will allow me to charge my new car off my solar panels. I don't have a large solar system however there are times when it's generating more electricity than I can use and the Zappi can be set to cleverly use that excess solar energy when it's available so you can, in theory, charge your vehicle completely off the sun. Wonderful. It also allows you to use a balanced mode, where it will fall back to the grid if it needs to, or you can just use it as a grid charger when you really need to make sure you have a charged car.

I can't say if the Zappi is the correct choice as I've yet to get it, and it will be even longer before I can actually use it so as always with such things YMMV.

Nissan Ariya Advance 2022 63kWh Aurora Green
PalBains

Post by PalBains »

Snap, just wanted to agree with RamblyRunner.
I am also having a Zappi charger installed in 3 weeks. Same reason of having Solar panels. I have a 4Kw system and it really does produce 4kwh so I am expecting it run the Ariya, except in mid winter..
Cost is ,£750 For the Zappi. The installation cost depends on whether your fuse box needs replacing, and distance to external wall etc so I concur that £1000 total would be average.
It is going to be interesting to see how the Ariya charge timer control and the Zappi controls, interact ?
Ariya Evolve 86Kwh, Blue/Black, scheduled delivery 11/11/22.
Jacippit

Post by Jacippit »

Recently had a Hypervolt unit installed for a smidge under £1200. It has a 10m cable. Great unit which has been fine for me, some people report issues usually related to WiFi. I had a cat 5 cable ran to avoid these issues and use a powerline to get this back to the router.

Worth noting though, that you need to check your supply as you may need work done by your local DNO before you can fit a charger. I was on a looped supply, DNO advised September 2021 that unlooping was required before the charger fitted. Work commenced in February 2022, not completed till May 2022!