How much lighter are electric SUVs?

The place to discuss everything else..
gonefishin

Post by gonefishin »

I know electric SUV models are a bit smaller than standard ones. They try to make them more compact without sacrificing much on storage and all that.

However, I want to know how much lighter they are. I think the engine and the bulk of the innards would make up a good chunk of the weight. The body would probably weigh the same though, no?

ElectricDan

Post by ElectricDan »

From what I understand, the average weight if we compare the same size SUV in EV and standard, the EV weighs more! This is because EVs have very heavy batteries in them and are often heavier than engines believe it or not.
williamcjames74

Post by williamcjames74 »

Agree with the previous poster - battery vehicles are usually heavier than the internal combustion engine equivalent. To clarify this further with a example, there is legislation in draft at the moment for electric trucks to be allowed to be heavier than their diesel counterparts (otherwise nobody would buy one if it carried less as well as had a shorter range than a diesel equivalent). What is good though is that you can buy trucks with different ranges (and therefore number of batteries). This means that if you only go locally then your truck could actually be lighter than a diesel one and actually be allowed to carry more legally! This site has loads of stuff about it: https://www.truckpages.co.uk/category/n ... /electric/
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

EV's are definitely heavier than their pure combustion counterparts.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Cosmyc wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:57 am EV's are definitely heavier than their pure combustion counterparts.
That is generally true but dependent upon battery size, of course. Whereas the big battery Ariya is substantially heavier than a Q5, the 63kWh Ariya is less than an average adult heavier than said Audi. Incidentally, the latest Audi has lost quite a few pounds compared to the previous model as manufacturers use different materials and clever design to reduce weight. But long range EV's are always 15+% or so heavier than equivalent ICE cars.
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

It depends, a 63kWh Ariya is still heavier than a Nissan X-Trail VC-Turbo, which is nearly 200Kg lighter and is a larger car.