Are electric cars the real future?

The place to discuss everything else..
gonefishin

Post by gonefishin »

Everyone keeps telling me that they want to do away with the old and have electric cars become the standard within the next 10 years so any cars still on petrol will be removed from the roads of faced with fines. I am not sure how far they will go with that though. I still feel like we are a ways off before they become the standard.

ElectricDan

Post by ElectricDan »

In some places, it will take much longer. I think the push to go full electric will happen in the UK much faster than in places like Canada or the USA. Just look at buying patterns and availability.
Sunstone

Post by Sunstone »

Im not 100% convinced by the longevity of EVs. Its obviously a step in the right direction given that we're driving cars with zero emissions.

However I can remember as a child at school being taught that fuel, well oil was a finite resource and we'd have to look for a more sustainable resource to replace it with. A good friend of mine has found his 'fuel' in the sun and house battery combination to power his home and his car and gleefully tells me how its cost him £8 to cover 400 miles. (It just cost my wife £140 to do 500 miles in her diesel motor!).

But my point isnt the electricity but the batterys. Havent we just moved from one finite source to a potentially even more scarce resource? Worrying when you think the demand for EVs worldwide is about to explode plus like my friends setup, house battery demand is about to sky rocket too. Upping the demand even more.

Theres a smugness in the way EVs are being touted as the solution but im not so ure they are thee future.

Im hoping batterys can be recycled but given technology advancements, are we really going to be able to recycle old EV batterys that have covered over 100k miles and been in use for over a decade or more? Who is going to want to touch that?!. Im not sure itll be worthy of the investment. Unless we really have to.

It'll be horse n cart before we know it! (again) ;-D