Puncture

All Nissan Ariya related discussions
paulm

Post by paulm »

I've got a screw in one of my tyres, and had it checked and the tyre garage say that it can't be repaired because it is a silent tyre and too difficult to repair from the inside. I wondered if anybody else has had a puncture yet, and if so if you got the same advice? The only reason given for not being able to do a repair was the type of tyre, not the location, size of the puncture etc. Also, if you do need a new tyre, it's worth knowing that the tyres on the Ariya (20 inch wheels) are not easy to get hold of!

NISSANFAN

Post by NISSANFAN »

Have a look on USA Aryia forum……I’m sure I’ve seen something about it being under warranty ( might be USA only ) not sure if this will help . Please keep us informed of your solution’s.
nibbyoop

Post by nibbyoop »

We had a puncture from a screw a few months ago, took it to our local kwik fit and the guy patched it up there and then. Took him about 10 minutes and it cost around £30 if I remember correctly. The tyres are apparently good for around 50 miles on a light puncture. The main issue I had was we couldn't find where the wheel nut removal thing was but got there eventually :D
Envolt

Post by Envolt »

@paulm - I once had an issue where I got puncture about once every other week for about 3 months due to having to drive through a building site without any other options.
This was with my BMW M3 and the tyre place said - "oh its a run flat and can't be repaired". So thousands later - eventually I did some digging and discovered its basically total BS - many garages use this excuse when its actually fully repairable as long as its not on the side wall.
Eventually I bought my own push through puncture repair kit for the car.
Grab one on amazon "TUBELESS TYRE PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT" and then watch the video.
paulm

Post by paulm »

Thanks all for your advice, I've dropped it back at the Nissan Dealer's today to get their view on it, so will let you know the outcome.
paulm

Post by paulm »

I took my car back to the Nissan Dealer today, and they repaired the puncture for me, so the advice I had been given by the tyre garage was not correct and the tyres can be repaired if anybody else ends up in a similar situation.
NISSANFAN

Post by NISSANFAN »

Great result ….happy days . Glad you got it sorted and thanks for passing on the info.
Graham

Post by Graham »

This week’s Auto Express has a letter from a Mr Phil Davies:
“When I had a puncture in a new Ariya, I used the repair kit, which was useless. The tyre contains noise-reducing material and the dealer told me that’s why it was ineffective. Why supply a kit knowing it won’t work, therefore stranding the owners if they have a puncture?

Any one agree, or disagree?
Louis

Post by Louis »

From my previous experiences with them, tyre repair kits are useless. I would much prefer a space saver wheel and accept reduced boot space.
JTC652

Post by JTC652 »

Nothing special about the tyres, they can be repaired just like any other tyre. When I worked for a car company the tyres were inflated with helium when loaned to the press, it makes them quieter! The molecules are so small they leak out so the tyres had to be topped up every day between press exchanges!

Nitrogen inflation gives more tyre pressure stability.

The puncture kits supplied in cars is only any good for seeping punctures, anything else they won't work, any puncture that ends up with the tyre flat should be recovered to a tyre repair shop. The glue in the kit will make the tyre unrepairable and it may kill off the TPMS sender mounted on the valve stem. Also tyre centres hate that stuff as it makes a hell of a mess when they remove the tyre from the wheel.
EV Owner for over 12 years, Ariya 87kW Evolve Akatsuki Copper is my latest.