Overnight charging fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Ariya
PeteTranter'sSister

Post by PeteTranter'sSister »

New to the forum. Had an Ariya since December 2022.

To date, I only ever charge at home. I use the in-built Ariya charge timer for cheap rate charging on Octopus between 00.30 and 04.30 am. I have noticed a few problems with it, usual software glitches. Yesterday afternoon I set the charge timer, plugged it in and left it. About 11.30 pm last night, well before charging was due, the alarm went off, nothing new there then, and the car started going weird. It wouldn't turn on but at this stage I was able to silence the alarm but not remove the charger. It wasn't indicating that it was going to charge (green flashy thing on the dash). So I left it for the morning.

This morning, flat as a pancake. Managed to unlock the doors but other than that it was dead.

Nice man from the RAC called round. The 12v battery, unconveniently located in the tailgate boot which can't easily be opened if the battery is flat, was flat. The nice RAC man suggested that this was a common fault and that when the charge timer is engaged the 12v battery is live and is consequently being discharged whilst the car waits to charge. Also, rather strangely, the wall traction charger does not actually charge the 12V battery. He was not sure why the battery was completely flat but he tested it, it was fine, and he put enough charge in it to reactivate the Ariya. His theory was that the 12V battery was possibly discharging at an increased rate whilst waiting to charge due to the alarm sensors, although I had managed to turn the alarm off but I didn't disable the internal sensor system.

So if you charge at night using the in-built Ariya software timer the theory is that the internal alarm sensors might be increasing the charge use on the 12V battery enough to deplete it. I've turned the internal alarm off completely until we find out for sure. I suggest you do the same, an Ariya with a completely flat battery located in a boot that can't be opened is not fun. And until this is sorted completely, I will be setting the Ariya timer at the very last thing at night so it's only active/waiting for a few hours until it kicks in at 00.30. Also, according to the nice RAC man, the 12V battery only actually charges when the Ariya is on and is not charging when the traction battery is charging. That's just weird.

Among the many other gripes is the random lumbar positioning which does not respond to memory seat settings, aerated front passenger seat in cooling mode when there's no-one sitting on it, that bloody alarm, the god-awful number of buttons in the steering wheel and passenger side wiper that just seems to hover and miss most of the passenger side windscreen completely. As for the software, I think whoever programmed it should be made to drive an Ariya for a few months, or at least to give it to the grandparents to see how they get on.

Gripe over, I hope Nissan sort this 'king software out and that my Ariya charges in the early hours of the morning tonight....

PTS

Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Nissan seem to have no intention of sorting out any software issues but they did think the flat 12volt battery situation through. Lift the bonnet, manual of course, and the +ve connector is there uner the red cover to put the 12volt system on with external supply. Much easier than faffing in the boot.
Cosmyc

Post by Cosmyc »

Luckily all LHD Ariya's have the 12V battery easily accessible on the hood.
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

And the Japanese use RHD also!
karltk1

Post by karltk1 »

Very similar problem for me but not using the built in timer. Just charged the car normally and it died in the morning. RAC out, same trouble shooting and charge. Followed me to nissan and nissan denied there was a problem, despite the RAC with me. I know carry a boost box and a charger in the boot, just incase this happens again. Can get to it through the rear seats if needed. Shouldn't need this, but for safety reasons, I don't see much choice.